- Some insulating materials become electrically charged when they are
- A substance that gains electrons becomes negatively
charged, while a substance that loses electrons becomes
- Charges that are the same repel, while unlike charges attract.
- Electrostatic precipitators, photocopiers and laser printers make
practical use of electrostatic charges.
- The study of static electricity is called electrostatics.
Attraction and repulsion
Using static electricity
Test on static electricity
[ This page has been adapted from www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science